Thursday, August 21, 2014

TWO PAPER DIVAS Design Team Card for Week of August 18, 2014 (Bokeh Technique)



This card is an attempt at doing what is called the "Bokeh" technique!!  I have watched a number of people out there in our crafting space do this kind of card and have wanted to try it.  First of all the word Bokeh is known in the photography world as a "filtering" concept.  Using Watercolor paper to start is a must.   I used painters tape and doing a border that you can see by taping it to a piece of stiff cardboard.  I then brushed on water (a lot) to get the piece pretty wet so the color would move as I painted each one that you see.  In the CASE above, I used a metallic watercolor paint (love this stuff - such a shine) and I painted one row at a time and took the second color and placed it right next to the first and so on.  As you are doing it, if more water is necessary, go ahead and put more water on the paper.  Using the brush, I also added water to the "disc" of paint.  Using a paper towel, I dabbed around any areas that were puddling with water and paint.  I also dabbed the whole surface.  Then I removed the painter's tape.  Using my heat gun, I helped dry the piece of paper.

Once I finished this process, I began the "Bokeh" technique ...... I gathered two different size circle templates and sponged on with a large sponge dauber white pigment ink in several different places.   It really makes a fun diffused look on the card.  Then I laid down a random dot stencil by Simon Says and using a white gel pen, I enjoyed adding dots of different sizes on the card.  After choosing the two stamps I wanted to use from TWO PAPER DIVAS (two different sets), I stamped them using Memento Black Ink.  It is fun to see the color which comes through the stamped image.

The rest of the card is pretty straight forward.  Now this week I will teach the Bokeh to my students and enjoy seeing what other attempts I will do in the future.  Cute technique!!  Thanks to Julie Ebersole for putting this on her Blog and showing the concept.  See ya next time!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment